MUSIC | SZA - CTRL

Hey Creatives!

I hope you're all doing well and all that jazz!


A moment of transparency here: I've been sleep when it comes to music. It's honestly a bit too much - artistes dropping a single, mixtape, EP or LP from left, right and center makes it a bit difficult to digest their projects. You're trying to keep up, but also prefer sanity.  Y'all feel me?!

Nonetheless, one project I've been swooning over is SZA's CTRL. Originally titled A, which was meant to conclude a trilogy of self-titled releases from 2013 and 2014 is SZA's debut album. Languid and soulful, the Jersey singer is an immersive dreamscape, book-ended poignantly with her mother’s musings on the subject of control. 

CTRL, a special moment which is filled with delicious slow jams yet delicate and powerful vocals, intimate insights into femininity, self-esteem and youth; seemingly following the course of Frank Ocean. It's a 14-track LP displaying her new sense of confidence and freedom in her craft and self. 


The albums first single "Drew Barrymore" which dropped mid-January, is an emotionally-rich track that unravels her inhibitions and struggles with to what it seems mental stability in a profound and honest way. “I get so lonely I forget my worth… I’m so ashamed of myself I think I need therapy/I’m sorry I’m not more attractive/I’m sorry I’m not more ladylike/I’m sorry I don’t shave my legs at night,” she sings as orchestral instrumentals fill the background.





Can we get into the imagery of the album cover?! SZA sits amongst a bed of broken computers, some may take it as she sitting far away from industrialism or man-made life. It's something to think about.




CTRL sparks the conversation of sexual freedom, while still having your hunger for intimacy be taken seriously. In "Doves in the Wind," SZA sings about Forrest Gump--not a figure running through her mind like Frank Ocean--but the kind of guy who sees women as more than just their bodies and who "deserve the whole box of chocolates." While lyrically speaking, it’s hard to say confidently that every woman can relate to sleeping with their man’s friend because he ditched them for a trip to Vegas on Valentine’s Day, it’s easy to connect with her insightful reflection on a song like “Supermodel," the album's opening track. Over a lonely electric guitar riff, she sets the tone; based on some interviews this isn't fiction. The song will be the first time her ex ever hears anything about it - talk about juicySZA's grandmother solidifies "Garden (Say It Like Dat)," during the last 30 seconds, whose frankness on respecting one’s differences is both enlightening and comical.
SZA's scrutiny of modern dating is not always self-eradicating. "Love Galore," featuring Travis Scott, is the perfect anthem "Why you bother me when you know don't want me?" It's a sentiment that so potent in 2017 where it seems like loneliness is so much easier to combat finger-to-screen instead of face-to-face. No, seriously why are you bothering me, sir/ma'am?! Her penmanship on the savory, country-fused single, “20 Something” runs deep. It’s as if she rips a page right out of her diary to lay down the vocals about the challenges of navigating her 20s, from having to pay bills to searching for love. Her breathy, raspy sound works well with the soft plucking guitar to provide rawness that will resonate with many. “Hopin’ my 20 somethings don’t end/Hopin’ to the rest of my friends/Prayin’ the 20 somethings don’t kill me,” she sings.
“The Weekend,” a song that should be a single, The hook rings, "My man is my man is your man, heard it's her man, too," with a tone of both freedom and a muted sadness over settling. "You're the 9 to 5, I'm the weekend." claiming her stance as a side chick with no remorse. Chile, if that isn't courage idk what is lol. Many would think this album is filled with anti-male anthems. But on the contrary, many of her songs are uplifting and aimed at taking back the control that she’s figuratively handed over to someone else. While some of that power is regained in denouncing the opposite sex at times, she also finds strength in the occasional vanity and supporting her girl gang. “Go Gina,” the invigorating song that has somewhat of a jazzy or open-mic feel to it, appropriately uses a reference to a catchphrase from the 90s sitcom Martin as a way to stress how good she looks. 

This album has soared nicely, CTRL has definitely kick-started her journey in the right direction. She may not be a crazy or flashy singer, but it’s raw, soulful, rhythmic, sensual, modern and uplifting in all the right places. It isn't nostalgic, nor did SZA go the alt-route. It's very refined, detailed and melodic. My faves include: Supermodel, Love Galore ft Travis Scott, Dre Barrymore, The Weekend and Go Gina. 

P.s., I will post music project reviews at my own convince, as aforementioned; I prefer my sanity. Please bear with me.


Thank you for reading and be sure to connect!

👻:: CREATINGTIVITY
Twitter: Creatingtivity

Stay Creative,

xo Zaddy

Comments

Popular Posts