FOOD | Joloff

Hey Creatives! Happy Holidays!

I hope the holidays are treating you all well and you are enjoying all the yummy food! Speaking of food, I recently got my first taste of Senegalese food. Joloff, located in the heart of Bed-Stuy in Brooklyn is a  traditional Senegalese restaurant. As soon as you walk in, the aroma that fills the air is very reminiscent of home cooking; African style. The walls are painted a vibrant teal and lime green, with art occupying every crevice of the walls. The tables are adorned with kente cloth and African music is abuzz. I was greeted by two men upon entering and was seated immediately. 





This reminds me of the stage in my primary school in Nigeria. 



 



Theibou Djeun - National fish of Senegal. Baked fish with vegetables and jollof rice. Now, if you ever been on social media, you've probably seem the intense debate over which African country has the best jollof rice. Although the Wolof people are the originators of jollof rice (they call it heibou dienne or benachin). Nigeria still holds the crown!!! LOL!


I really enjoyed the vegetables (carrot, cabbage and potato) they weren't overcooked. The fish which was baked in a tomato based sauce and it was okay, the flavors weren't exciting nor was it spectacular. 

The size of the grain was smaller to than your fave Uncle Ben's or basmati rice, almost quinoa sized. The rice was very tasty, however it tasted like crayfish was in that pot, which is quite uncommon in the jollof rice I am used to. 



The Joloff cocktail: Zobo (sorrel) + ginger 
It was good, but being that Zobo has ginger in it already, it was a bit too much. Next time I'll just try the plain ol' bissap. 

Overall, Joloff was a good introduction into Senegalese food. I'm eager to try more of their traditional dishes. 


Thank you for reading and be sure to connect!
👻:: CREATINGTIVITY
IG:  Creating Creativity
Twitter: Creatingtivity

Stay Creative,
Zaddy








Comments

Popular Posts