CULTURE | I Went To Afropunk, Again!

Hey Creatives! It's been a smooth minute, per youzhe :/

I wanted to come on here and talk, maybe vent about my experience at Afropunk. Afropunk is a festival that was curated to celebrate the creativity and freedom that existed out of mainstream media, music and fashion. The Afropunk movement began with James Spooner's documentary "Afropunk". However, Afropunk is more than a festival or documentary, but more of  judge-free and nurturing environment for people to be themselves and bask in their individuality. The festival has since expanded to Atlanta and Paris which in itself is DOPE!




The last weekend in August is usually when Afropunk transpires in Brooklyn, NY. Being the third year I attended in a roll, I would consider myself an expert or whatnot lol. So here are some quintessential rules you MUST know prior and during attendance:
  1. Wear sunscreen!!!! The sun will be showing out and ain't no melanoma bih 
  2. Charge your phone and carry a portable charger 
  3. Bring water or buy the sponsored Just Water and refill it at anytime
  4. Carry cash. Most vendors and food trucks take credit/debit, but just incase
  5. Wear closed toe shoes, I learned my lesson this year and chileee it wasn't fun -__-
  6. Sunglasses are a must, to block the shade and the sun. 
  7. Do not hesitate to mingle and get to know people. 
With all that being said, I was not impressed this year. The line up had some big acts such as Janelle Monae, The Internet, Ice Cube, Sango and etc. However, I was not feeling it. I understand the whole concept of concert going to get to listen to new music and new artistes, but no. No ma'am. I did not wait for Ice Cube's act, missed almost the entire Janelle Monae's set and left during The Internet's set. People were late, the directions weren't helpful. Again, this is not my first year attending and this was the year that I did not enjoy it.




I am an avid podcast listener and I was extremely stoked to meet some of favs from the Loud Speakers Network.

Kid Fury from The Read

Hey Assante from The Friend Zone

HeyFranHey from Youtube and The Friend Zone 

Dustin Ross Actor and from The Friend Zone



FOOD
The wondrous deliberation of the food trucks and their long line and longer waiting time. Haven't had empanadas in years and this was truly disappointing. I had an Argentine and a Spicy chicken empanada and they both were trash! No flavor, just extremely hot (temp wise). I've had authentic empanadas and nuchas did not compare.

Happy Cow Herbal Limeade was so good and refreshing. The limeade was freshly squeezed and two different flavors: ginger and mint. I ordered the ginger. the ginger was subtle and it was good!

My outfit, no photo was taken :/, but there's a link! It was custom made by a Nigerian tailor 
Shoes: Steven by Steve Madden 
Bag: H&M


Just like any concert, make sure you do your research and overall have fun. Hopefully next year's will be better. 


Stay Creative.
xo, Zaddy

Comments

Popular Posts